MONUMENT TO LOS COLORAOS / MONUMENTO A LOS COLORAOS
In the centre of the Constitution Square is a monumental column made of Macael marble, known as “El monumento (or “el pingurucho”) a los coloraos” (Monument to los coloraos). The original monument was built between 1868 and 1900 and was placed at the Purchena Gate and then moved to the Old Square. It stayed there until its demolition in 1943, being rebuilt in 1988. It is an emblematic monument, since it was built as a tribute to twenty four people who arrived at the beaches of Almería wearing red jackets to proclaim freedom against the despotism of Fernando VII. However, their intentions were frustrated because they were executed.
En el centro de la Plaza Vieja se encuentra un pingurucho, que es una monumental columna que popularmente se conoce como “Monumento a los Coloraos”. Antes se encontraba en la Puerta Puchena, pero luego lo trasladaron a esta plaza. Se construyó en homenaje a la veinticuatro personas que llegaron a Almería con casacas rojas para proclamar la libertad.